Monday, September 13, 2010

Elphin

Elphin – The Squadron’s call signal was “Elphin.” This always amused me when I looked around, and surveyed the angels in “B” Flight.

The Flight headquarters was a tiny room in a Nissen hut and there was a beaten path to a little outhouse nearby where each pilot went to have his nervous one before take-off, or failing this, waited until he could piddle near the rudder of his kite before scrambling into the crowded cockpit.

The Flight hangar for repairing the aeroplanes was a tarpaulin strung between trees in the woods nearby.

My first promotion – Through the Grim Reaper’s act of attrition, I was made a section leader. I was to become Elphin Black One leading Elphin Black Two. On the very first flight, Doley was Black Two.

The Squadron landed at Friston, a rallying field, where DB gathered his three Squadrons (145, 610, and 616) so that they could top-up with petrol as well as having a shorter flight to ‘Bader’s bus route’ over France. It was time to go and everybody wound up their kites, including Doley, but oh no, not Black One who should be leading Black Two, Doley; I couldn’t get the engine started in my kite. In an exasperated voice, DB growled, “Who is in DW-V?” Some soul answered, “Philpotts.’’ Bader continued, “For Christ’s sake, Philpotts, put your switches on.” I looked down at the two magneto switches and I wondered as to how many times I had made cockpit checks without fail and what a horrible time to be such a silly ass. But I got Doley well lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment