Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Zip Powell

Zip Powell – Zip was one of my cabin mates and he was deathly sick for most of the drip across the Atlantic. Twice I got him up on deck for some fresh air and he would seem to be OK for a while. I kept telling him that he should try to get something into his stomach, so he came with me into the dining salon for dinner. Unfortunately, the very tasty meal included a dish of buttered spinach which looked, according to Zip, as if it had already been eaten and away went Zip. I went after him and I just got him to our sink in the cabin in time.

Zip became one of the great train-busters and he was very well known. I often thought about the ashen, immobile form in our cabin as I read of Zip’s exploits in both military and civilian publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment