Friday, July 30, 2010

Alliston, Ontario

Alliston, Ontario – Alliston aerodrome was a satellite field to the camp Borden aerodrome and it was used to alleviate the traffic of flying training at the Borden aerodrome.

One night, Farrel was giving me dual, night flying training at Alliston and as usual Farrel fell asleep in the rear cockpit while I was practicing night landings. (When an overworked instructor had an opportunity to get some sleep it was considered by the pupil to be a compliment that the instructor would do so on the pupil’s time.) As the petrol was getting low, I switched to the reserve tank and took it upon myself to land and to taxi to the ramp. I got out of the aeroplane and started to walk, with my parachute over my shoulder, to the small, dimly lit hangar, when sleepily I realized that Farrel wasn’t with me. I went back to the aeroplane, and to my amazement, Farrel was still sleeping soundly. He was too much of a gentleman, whom I admired, for me to leave him there to be ridiculed.

No comments:

Post a Comment